Criteria for Annual Faculty Hiring Plans
Faculty are critical to the success of the University of New Mexico in creating new knowledge and cultural works that enrich our state and crafting the learning environments that ensure learning for our students. Identifying the new high-quality faculty who will enrich our university and ensure a diverse, inclusive, and vibrant community that is aligned with New Mexico’s strategic needs is critical to our immediate and long-term impact.
The UNM Regents have not yet approved the FY23 budget and we are expecting roughly flat enrollment for next year, but we anticipate being able to strategically replace faculty departures in key areas, and to hire into some new faculty lines when funding is available and the hire is aligned with strategic directions for the university. All faculty searches must be part of a strategic school or college level hiring plan approved by the office of the provost. This memo outlines the process to request such approvals. Deans considering faculty searches should read the attached draft UNM 2040 framework and describe how their requests align with the strategic goals of UNM.
Deans seeking approval to conduct faculty searches for appointments starting AY2023-24 will submit a strategic hiring plan to the Senior Vice Provost (firstname.lastname@example.org) by May 20, 2022. In most cases, absent any concerns, approvals to launch searches will be issued by June 15, 2022. Amendments to the school/college faculty hiring plan also require approval from Academic Affairs and quarterly revisions to the hiring plan are welcome, if needed.
Approvals for faculty searches for continuing appointments (e.g., tenure-track, lecturer) will be prioritized against the following factors, which should be addressed in the hiring plan:
- Justification for each proposed position based on the following elements:
- enhancement of critical UNM research, creative works, and scholarly directions, including the UNM 2040 goals;
- articulation of need based on academic mission and in response to a unit’s academic program review;
- advancement of the unit’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals;
- description of how faculty input helped inform the prioritization of faculty hiring needs;
- alignment with the multiyear plans submitted fall 2021;
- improved undergraduate and graduate student outcomes; and
- growth and/or maintenance of areas of demonstrated prospective/future undergraduate and graduate student interest and state needs.
- Description of the sources of recurring funds that will support the faculty hires requested.
- For each position, specify the proposed appointment and rank; salary requested; anticipated start-up funds; and the corresponding CIP code.
- Limited recurring funds to support new faculty lines have been allocated centrally, and units may seek critical hires, as aligned with the criteria above, to be made using these new lines. Availability of these funds is subject to Regental approval of the UNM budget and meeting enrollment targets.
Faculty searches approved in this strategic process must be competitive unless Deans (or their associate dean designees) and department chairs must attend a faculty search workshop to be held on the following days (need to give a few choices) before searches commence.
Prior to launching an approved faculty search, faculty search committee members will be required to complete online diversity training, sponsored by the Division for Equity and Inclusion, and the faculty search workshops presented by ADVANCE@UNM.
Part I - June 21, 2022 – 10:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m. (in person, Roberts Room)
Part II - June 23, 2022 – 10:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m. (in person, Roberts Room)
Part I - August 9, 2022 – 10:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m. (in person, Roberts Room)
Part II - August 11, 2022 – 10:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m. (in person, Roberts Room)